Dave Briggs runs Kind of Digital Ltd, which helps supports public servants in their attempts to make open government a reality. A prolific commentator on the use of online social tools in the public sector since 2004, Dave has worked at all levels of government, from local councils to 10 Downing Street and is a Fellow of the RSA.
The longer, more boring version:
Dave Briggs has a diverse and extensive background in the UK public sector, including local government, further education and central government. He has built a reputation as a helpful, positive, knowledgeable and popular advocate of technology enabled change in government.
Roles have included: benefits assessor, scrutiny officer, business analyst, risk manager, and stakeholder manager. He started blogging in 2004 and never actually quite got sacked for his use of social media while working in government.
His education features an upper second class degree in Politics from the University of Hull, and A-levels in – of all things – History, English Literature and Religious Studies. He is PRINCE2 accredited and is a qualified EFQM assessor, but has forgotten what that means.
Whilst at University Dave was a member of the Hullfire team that won aGuardian Student Media Award for best student website.
From 2008 until 2009, Dave consulted through his own small business, named DavePress after his popular blog. Clients included 10 Downing Street, BIS, UKTI, DfID, LGID, UK online centres, Cisco and others.
It was during this period that Dave helped organise the first UK government barcamp event, later taking over full organising duties when it became apparent that nobody else would. Now called UKGovCamp, the event has spawned a movement of informal events regularly taking place all over the country.
Dave spent 2010 and the first few months of 2011 reading, thinking, writing and talking on behalf of Learning Pool, the public sector learning community.
In April 2011 he lauched Kind of Digital, a new business bringing hman-powered online innovation to public services.
He has security clearance to SC level and is a Fellow of the RSA.
Some things people have said:
- “Dave is an excellent speaker and motivator, but don’t let that put you off – he also has a thorough and detailed knowledge of his subject and a deep understanding of what is needed to take these ideas forward.”
- “I’ve seen Dave progress from pretty much starting up the social media agenda in local government in its very early days to being one of the most sought after and respected digital enablers in the public and social sector.”
- “Dave’s energy to help organisations become open, sociable and collaborative is second to none. He’s always inspiring me, not just with the things he thinks but the things he does.”
- “He’s built an impressively broad coalition of clients and followers across local and central government who look to him as a practical problem-solver, enthusiastic trainer and speaker, and facilitator of groups and online communities par excellence.”
- “Awesome workshop with Dave Briggs – loads of fun, great advice (and gorgeous).”
- “Afternoon’s presentation by Dave Briggs is incredible. Inspirational! He’s doing it all without any notes and he’s mentioned cock 6 times.”